NJ Employers Can Receive Funding for Interns Through NJ Career Accelerator Program
NJ Employers that are interested in using undergraduate interns from NJ colleges and universities can receive funding from the NJ Career Accelerator Internship Program announced by The Office of the Secretary of Higher Education (OSHE.
Funding is available to New Jersey-based companies, nonprofits, not-for-profits, and small businesses that are hiring interns for summer 2022 (May – August). Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on March 27, via the OSHE’s secure application. To qualify, interns must work minimum of 15 hours per week and be paid $20.00 an hour for 10 weeks.
Employer Eligibility Requirements
Employers in the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) industry and those in the following NJ industry sectors can participate:
- Biopharmaceutical & Life Sciences Industry Sector
- Transportation, Distribution, Logistics Industry Sector
- Financial Services Industry Sector
- Retail Trade Industry Sector
- Manufacturing Industry Sector
- Health Care Industry Sector
- Technology Industry Sector
- Construction and Energy Industry Sector
- Leisure and Hospitality Industry Sector
Other eligibility requirements include:
- The employer must be located in New Jersey
- The employer must identify as a for-profit corporation, non-profit organization, not-for-profit organization, or small business
Participating for-profit companies will be reimbursed up to 50 percent of wages paid to interns, with a maximum reimbursement rate of $1,500 per student for the full 10 weeks.
Nonprofit organizations and small businesses will be reimbursed up to 100 percent of wages paid to interns, with a maximum reimbursement rate of $3,000 per student for the full 10 weeks.
Applications will be reviewed for completeness and eligibility. OSHE will not serve as a matching intermediary between employers and potential interns.
Additionally, employers must participate in three 45-minute educational webinars focused on inclusive hiring practices, intern on-boarding, and developmental supervision.
Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on March 27, 2022, via the OSHE’s secure application. Employers will be notified of the status of their grant application on or before April 4, 2022.
Please contact Internship Program Manager, Sammy Munsch at Sammy.Munsch@oshe.nj.gov with any questions.